The sprawling network of roads and highways in Highland, Indiana, witnesses thousands of vehicles passing through every day due to its proximity to Chicago and Michigan. Many of these vehicles are Chicago residents crossing to Indiana for work. If you’ve ever driven through the bustling freeways of this region, you’ll know firsthand the adrenaline and alertness required to drive in the traffic. With such dense traffic and a mix of local and interstate drivers, the unfortunate reality is that accidents are bound to happen. When they do, having a reliable Highland car accident lawyer is essential for those involved.
Interstate 94, especially near the Gary/Chicago International Airport, is notorious for its heavy traffic. Whether you’re a local heading out for a trip or a Chicago resident commuting for work, a sudden collision or fender bender on this stretch can turn your routine journey into a nightmare. Additionally, the intersection of Indianapolis Boulevard and Industrial Drive is a hub for locals and visitors. Rear-end accidents, often due to impatience or inattention, are not uncommon here, especially during rush hours.
Or, picture a relaxed evening out with friends at the Plaza Lanes bowling alley, which turns awry due to a hit-and-run incident in the parking lot. Such incidents can leave you flustered and devastated. Who will cover the damages? How will you track down the offender? The chaotic aftermath of an accident, the paperwork, and the potential injuries can be overwhelming. By having a car accident attorney in Highland by your side, you can ensure that you protect your rights and receive the compensation you deserve.
How an Experienced Lake County Lawyer Can Help Your Claim
Were you involved in an accident in Highland, Indiana? If so, your primary concern should be healing and regaining a sense of normalcy. However, the looming financial burdens, from medical expenses to lost wages, can make focusing on recovery difficult. This is where the expertise of a Highland car accident lawyer can be invaluable. Here’s how SLG Accident Attorneys can make a significant difference in your claim:
- Collaborating with experts. By working with top-tier experts, from accident reconstructionists to medical professionals and financial analysts, they’ll build a compelling case on your behalf.
- Gathering essential evidence. Whether it’s police reports, security camera footage, or witness statements, they’ll collect every piece of evidence that supports your claim.
- Providing guidance and clarity. They’ll clarify any doubts and guide you through the legal process, ensuring you’re informed and confident every step of the way.
- Identifying liable parties. Their expertise ensures that every potentially responsible party gets held accountable, ensuring no stone is left unturned in your quest for justice.
- Negotiating with insurers. Insurance companies are notorious for minimizing payouts. They’ll negotiate fiercely, ensuring you receive the best possible compensation.
- Thorough investigation. With an in-depth probe into the circumstances of your accident, they’ll pinpoint its causes and determine any negligence involved.
For decades, our Highland car accident attorneys have been the trusted allies of accident victims. Their dedication, combined with a deep understanding of Indiana’s legal landscape, positions them perfectly to maximize your compensation. Remember, when represented by a renowned attorney, you significantly increase your chances of securing a just settlement.
Don’t let insurance giants push you around with inadequate offers. Our team knows your rights and is prepared to defend them vigorously, even if it means taking the fight to court.
Lake County Car Accident Statistics
Given its strategic location near major urban centers like Chicago, Lake County experiences significant traffic volumes daily. The main highways in and around Highland, such as the Borman Expressway (US 41), I-94, I-90, and I-65, are always bustling with vehicles. Commuters, residents, and those heading to and from major airports like Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport and Chicago Midway International Airport contribute to the ever-present stream of traffic. A look into the 2020 Indiana Crash Fact Book offers an insight into the car crash statistics of Lake County:
- Alcohol-related crashes. In 2020, alcohol played a role in 2% of all crashes in the county and 13% of all fatal accidents. Additionally, the average number of alcohol-related crashes per county was 42. Lake County features prominently, underlining the need for continued public awareness and enforcement initiatives in this area.
- General crash data. Lake County consistently ranks high in the number of reported crashes, securing the second spot in 2020. The sheer volume of vehicles and the region’s topographical and infrastructural attributes play a significant role in this ranking.
One cannot overlook the contributing factors leading to these numbers. With such a massive influx of traffic, especially from commuters and travelers heading to and from Chicago, the main highways around Highland are constantly evolving. Aggressive driving behaviors like tailgating, distractions like mobile phones, and last-minute lane changes to avoid missing exits often contribute to accidents. The heavy traffic combined with these behaviors makes accidents not just possible but, sadly, common.
The Top Causes of Car Crashes in Highland, Indiana
Highland, Indiana, situated near the bustling urban hub of Chicago, sees a mix of local and interstate traffic, especially with its proximity to main highways and airports. With such a dense flow of vehicles, it’s critical to understand the top causes of car crashes to promote safety and awareness. Here are the primary culprits:
- Overview: Distracted driving remains a significant cause of accidents in Highland and nationwide. Activities such as texting, talking on the phone, adjusting the radio, and eating can divert a driver’s attention from the road.
- Impact: A few seconds of distraction can be fatal, especially on highways where vehicles move at high speeds. With evolving technology and increasing smartphone usage, the risk associated with distracted driving has amplified.
- Prevention: Public awareness campaigns, hands-free laws, and educational programs in schools and communities can help mitigate the risks associated with distracted driving.
- Overview: Speeding reduces a driver’s reaction time drastically, making it challenging to avoid obstacles or stop in time to prevent an accident.
- Impact: High-speed crashes typically result in more severe injuries or fatalities. Busy stretches like the Borman Expressway (US 41) or I-94 see instances where drivers exceed the speed limits.
- Prevention: Strict enforcement of speed limits, speed cameras, and public awareness campaigns can deter drivers from speeding.
- Overview: Alcohol impairs judgment, reflexes, and concentration — essential skills for safe driving.
- Impact: Like many other regions, Highland faces challenges with alcohol-related accidents. Drunk driving crashes are often severe and can lead to fatalities.
- Prevention: Routine DUI checkpoints, strict legal penalties for DUI offenders, and public awareness initiatives can help reduce drunk driving incidents.
- Overview: Reckless driving involves disregarding the safety of oneself and others on the road. This can include tailgating, changing lanes without signaling, and not yielding the right of way.
- Impact: Such behaviors can lead to multi-car pile-ups or severe accidents, especially during peak traffic hours.
- Prevention: Enhanced patrolling, stricter penalties for reckless driving offenses, and educational campaigns can help combat this issue.
Understanding these causes and their impact on road safety is the first step in preventing accidents and fostering a safer driving environment.
How to Report a Highland Car Accident
Following the correct reporting procedures is crucial if you’re involved in a car accident in Highland, Indiana. They include:
- Check for injuries. First and foremost, ensure the safety of all individuals involved. If anyone is injured, seek medical attention immediately by calling 911.
- Move to a safe location. If possible, move your vehicle out of traffic to avoid causing further accidents or hazards.
- Notify law enforcement. For any accident, especially those involving injuries, property damage, or a hit-and-run situation, it’s essential to call the police. An official police report can be invaluable for insurance claims and potential legal actions.
- Exchange information. Collect relevant details from all parties involved, including names, addresses, driver’s license numbers, license plate numbers, insurance information, and vehicle descriptions.
- Document the scene. Take photographs of the accident scene, vehicle damages, injuries, and other vital details. This can provide valuable evidence for insurance claims or legal purposes.
- Speak to witnesses. If there are any witnesses, gather their contact details and statements regarding what they observed.
- Notify your insurance company. Inform your insurance provider about the accident immediately. They’ll guide you on the next steps for filing a claim.
- File an official report. If the Highland police don’t attend the scene, Indiana law mandates that you file an accident report with the Bureau of Motor Vehicles within 10 days if injuries, deaths, or property damage exceed $1,000.
- Seek legal counsel. Given the complexities of car accidents, consider consulting with a Highland car accident attorney to ensure you protect your rights and interests.
Things to Avoid Which Can Hurt Your Car Accident Claim
If you’re involved in a car accident and decide to pursue a claim, it’s imperative to go through the process carefully. Simple mistakes or oversights can jeopardize your claim. Here are things you should avoid doing, as they can harm your chances of a successful resolution:
- Disposing of evidence. Physical evidence from the accident scene or relating to your injuries can be crucial in proving your claim. Preserve all evidence about the accident. This includes damaged property, clothing, or any other pertinent items.
- Forgetting to photograph injuries. Over time, injuries heal. Without photographic evidence, it may be challenging to demonstrate the severity or extent of your injuries. Document your injuries as soon as possible, and photograph the healing process regularly.
- Lying. Fabricating or exaggerating details can discredit your account, even if your claim is legitimate. Always provide a factual and accurate statement of the events leading to the accident.
- Missing doctor appointments. Failing to attend medical appointments can be construed as your injuries not being severe or you not taking them seriously. Consistently attend all medical appointments and follow the prescribed treatment plan.
- Posting on social media. Opposing parties can scour your profiles for evidence to discredit your claim. Even seemingly innocent posts can get misinterpreted. Limit your social media activity or ensure your profiles are private. Refrain from discussing the accident online.
- Signing your rights away. Quick settlements or signing documents without understanding can result in you forfeiting your rights or accepting lower compensation than you deserve. Before signing any document, consult your Highland car accident lawyer to ensure you understand every clause.
- Talking about your case. Speaking openly about your case, especially to insurance adjusters or the other party involved, can be used against you later. Only discuss your case with your attorney or trusted individuals who won’t jeopardize your claim.
What Happens if the Car Accident Occurs Out of State?
If you suffer a personal injury in Indiana but hail from another state, navigating legal recourse can be complex. You can typically file a lawsuit in Indiana or the state of the person responsible for your injuries. This choice depends on “jurisdiction” — a court’s authority to oversee specific cases and individuals.
Most injury cases fall under the “subject matter jurisdiction” of state courts, which refers to the court’s power to rule on the nature of the case. Meanwhile, “personal jurisdiction” concerns the court’s authority over the individuals involved. If your injury happened in Indiana and the offender resides there, an Indiana court is a natural choice for your lawsuit. But if the offender isn’t from Indiana, where you can file depends on their ties to the state. For a case to proceed, the defendant must have sufficient “minimum contacts” with Indiana, such as owning property or conducting business. So, even if a company that injured you is based elsewhere, you can typically sue them there if they operate within Indiana.
A car accident lawyer in Highland, Indiana, can offer essential insights into state-specific regulations, manage interactions with local authorities, and comprehensively understand Indiana’s laws, ensuring that those involved in out of state accidents get effectively represented and protect their rights.
Serving Highland, Indiana
Highland, Indiana, is not just a town; it’s a thriving community with a rich tapestry of people, activities, and businesses. The city is progressing toward improvement and accessibility with the upcoming street paving project. This initiative doesn’t just stop at resurfacing. It extends to the inclusive addition of ramps compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act, showcasing Highland’s commitment to ensuring every resident and visitor can easily drive its streets.
For those in Highland, there are some pivotal resources worth noting:
- Extraordinary Rehab Services Physical Therapy. As their name suggests, they offer exceptional physical therapy services tailored to individual needs. They believe in a holistic approach to rehabilitation, combining advanced techniques with compassionate care.
- Highland Body Shop. Accidents can be distressing, but at Highland Body Shop, they strive to make the recovery process as seamless as possible. Their team provides top-notch craftsmanship and service, from minor dents to major repairs.
- Milestone Therapy. Located right in the heart of Highland, Milestone Therapy offers many therapy services, including pediatric, occupational, and speech therapy, to ensure every individual achieves their developmental milestones.
- Wolfski’s Auto Repair. Whether routine maintenance or an unexpected breakdown, Wolfski’s has become a trusted name in Highland. Their team of skilled mechanics ensures that every vehicle gets the attention it deserves.
Experienced Lake County Attorneys
At SLG Accident Attorneys, our commitment transcends mere legal representation. We understand the profound impact an auto accident can have on one’s life, and our dedication is to stand by you every step of the way.
As seasoned Highland car accident lawyers, we harness our expertise, compassion, and drive to ensure your rights are protected and you receive the compensation you deserve. When the road ahead seems uncertain, trust Hasan Shah to guide you through the complexities of the legal process.
In addition to Highland, some of the locations our attorneys serve includes Hammond, Gary, East Chicago, Munster, Schererville, Fishers, Carmel, Noblesville, Greenwood, Indianapolis, Portage, Lawrence, Fort Wayne, Anderson, Merrillville, Greenfield, Avon, Crown Point, Hobart, Merrillville, and more.
ADDITIONAL CAR ACCIDENT RESOURCES